Cannabis & Anxiety
Cannabis and Anxiety
Let’s start with a basic level understanding of CBD and THC – the active ingredients in the cannabis plant. We’re sure you’ve heard of both. These compounds attach to the receptors in your brain and create different effects. CBD is best known to have therapeutic benefits and effects, for instance acting as an anti-inflammatory and or curbing anxiety.
Although technically therapeutic, THC is more known for its psychological and psychoactive effects, which often lead to that characteristic “high”. Depending on the person, THC can lead to racing thoughts and an increased heart rate which is (obviously) not good for anxiety.
Surveys have shown that many people consume cannabis to help with their short term social anxiety, stress, and depression. Medically, cannabis is mostly used to reduce pain, but, often, only as a short term solution. There are few-to-no studies that prove cannabis has long-term benefits as a therapeutic when it comes to abating anxiety, yet there are many studies that prove the benefits of CBD detailed here.
Blending and balancing THC with CBD is where things can start to get tricky, but also exciting. As a baseline metric, when deciding what you would like to ingest (smoke, eat, dab, drop, etc.) to help with your anxiety, CBD is going to be your friend. Look for products that are either purely CBD (legal in all 50 states), or products that have ratios weighted in favor of – e.g. 4 CBD : 1 THC. Products that are formulated to maximize CBD benefits – with a bit of THC for light psychoactivity – are less likely to lead to those racing thoughts that we all dread.
If you are new to cannabis, we ~ highly ~ suggest purchasing it from a legal and regulated dispensary. Depending on which coast you’re on, there are a number of states where cannabis is entirely recreationally legal (here’s a helpful resource). Buying from a legal and regular cannabis retailer will ensure that the products you’re purchasing, and consuming, do indeed reflect the ratios presented to you on their packaging.
It is important to start off slow and with small amounts, taking time to wait and see how the cannabis will affect you. If you are smoking or eating a product with THC for the first time, make sure that you are in a comfortable setting with someone else – preferably someone who has experienced a high before. If you’re wary, start with something that barely has any THC content. There are plenty of products that check this box.
Each individual goes through a different experience with cannabis. It could take a few experiences to start to understand your body, what you like, and how it feels to be “high.” Start slowly, keep track of your consumption, and with time and intention you will be able to figure out your “perfect high” for alleviating anxiety and stress.
We like to use CBD-heavy products when winding down after the workday, when tomorrow looms heavy, or on a Sunday after a long weekend. Here are some we love and others we are excited to try!
- 10 mg of CBD per piece –– one of our favorites for day-to-day activities.
- By chewing this small amount of CBD for 10 minutes you instantly feel a sense of calm and focus. We like to chew right after our morning coffee and when that afternoon sleepy hits.
From Edie – “Whether it's bath time or movie night, upgrade your self-care ritual with our American-grown CBD. Take a hit, relax, and unwind.”
- Pairs wonderfully with Veil.
- These not only have 20mg of CBD in each gummy, they contain 3mg of Melatonin (a natural occurring hormone that helps with sleep).
- We like to take one or two before bed for a good night's sleep.
- Interesting new brand that has created a "fast-acting" edible. Fast-acting is great because, unlike most edibles, you know fairly quickly that they are hitting.
- The Chill and Midnight Flavors both have higher CBD to THC and we love chocolate :~)
- On Dawn – “Dawn was formulated by Dr. Alex Capano, who holds the first doctorate in cannabinoid science. And like Dusk, it was engineered to meet your needs: in this case, to give you more motivation, clarity, and speed when you wake up—or at any other point in the day.”
- On Dusk – “With that in mind, we worked with Dr. Alex Capano, who holds the first and only doctorate in comprehensive cannabinoid science, and our friends at Ananda Hemp, the oldest producers of hemp-derived CBD in the United States, to create something specifically for those who struggle to turn off and turn in. Our formulation of CBD, CBN, and hand-picked terpenes shown to promote healthier sleep is engineered to help the rest of us rest.”
- THC free sprays, tinctures, and a salve coming out as well that are all just CBD
- This is a great brand if you are new to THC, as you can choose from a ton of different options and strengths. The pens buzz when you have inhaled 2mg of the formula – truly a "dosed" experience.
- Their website is very helpful for figuring out exactly how much THC and CBD you should be consuming for your needs.